Registration of Birth Outside Sri Lanka
The application for the registration of birth must be made within three months of the birth.
When a child is born abroad to a citizen of Sri Lanka, such birth should be registered within one year at the office of the diplomatic representation of Sri Lanka in the country of birth or at the Citizenship Division of the Ministry of Defence in Colombo . Therefore, when an application is made for the registration of a birth under the Births and Deaths Registration Ordinance, an application for the registration of the child under the Citizenship Act should also be made.
A child born to a Sri Lankan parent out side Sri Lanka should obtain the Citizenship Certificate from the:
Department of Immigration and Emigration 2nd Floor),
Ministry of Internal Administration
41 Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha
Colombo 10, Sri Lanka
Web Site: www.immigration.gov.lk
Applications for the Citizenship Certificates are forwarded to the Citizenship Division in Colombo which will process them and will send the Citizenship Certificates to the Embassy.
When an application for registration of a birth is made one year after the birth of the child, such application is forwarded to the Registrar General's Department at:
280, Main Street
Colombo 11 , Sri Lanka
Tel: +94 11 23 93 071 or +94 11 23 93 072
Fax : +94 11 23 93 074
Email : email@example.com
Web Site: http://www.rgd.gov.lk )
In such cases the birth certificate is issued only after approval is received from the Registrar General.
The application form for the registration of birth can be obtained over the counter at the Consular Section of the Embassy or by post, sending a self-addressed stamped envelope with a request. The Birth certificates are issued by the Embassy only in English; therefore it is preferable if the applications are filled in English.
The birth registration fee of 70€ (additional 8€ for each year delayed) can be paid over the counter or can be sent as postal cash. Please make sure to send a copy of payment slip along with relevant documents.
All original documents should be submitted with two photocopies!
1. Duly filled Ceylon Citizenship Act , No. 18 of 1948 ( Citizenship 1)
2. Duly filled Declaration of Birth under Section 16 (B4) (if application is submitted within 3 months of the child's birth
3. Duly filled Declaration of Birth after three months Section 24 (B6) (if application is submitted after 3 months of the child's birth)
4. Original Birth Certificate of the child in which the names of both parents appear (Birth Certificate has to be issued by the competent authority in the country where the child was born and should be counter signed by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or their diplomatic representative in of the country where the child is born)
5. Original visa card of the child
6. 3 copies of recent photographs of the child (35 x 45 mm)
7. Valid travel documents of the parents with two photocopies of each details pages/photo pages and endorsement pages
8. Resident permit of the Parents (Carte de Sejour in France )
9. Original Marriage certificate of the parents. (If the marriage has been registered outside Sri Lanka it should be countersigned by the relevant diplomatic representative of the country concerned)
10. Citizenship Certificate of parents if they were born outside Sri Lanka
11. If the child's birth was not registered within one year of the birth, a letter signed by both parents, giving reasons as to why it was not registered within the first year of birth
12. If parents are not legally married at time of child's birth, an affidavit relating to paternity and declaration of Citizenship
Upon Registration of the Birth, the first copy of the Birth Certificate would be delivered to the applicant over the counter or by post and the second copy will be sent to the Registrar General's Department, Colombo , for record purposes. The Embassy does not issue additional copies of Birth Certificates. Applicants who wish to apply for additional copies should request them from the Registrar General's Department in Colombo , Sri Lanka.
New Ammenments to the Birth Registration